The 2016 Dublin hurling squad is facing a massive reshuffle as a number of the players have left or been removed from the 2016 panel.
Simon Lambert, Danny Sutcliffe and goal keeper Alan Nolan are not part of the 2016 panel under Ger Cunningham’s management with dual star Conal Keaney rumoured to also be considering retirement.
Lambert today hit out that Cunningham has wrongly dismissed the experienced defender and accused the man in charge of “disrepect”.
“I’m disappointed to be left out, considering that I’ve been involved for the last eight years,” the versatile Dub told The Irish Independent. “I came back from a career-threatening injury in 2013, missed all of 2014 and worked myself back into contention, starting both of the Galway games this year.
“The reasons given to me were, in my opinion, disrespectful from where I’ve come from. But look, I’m 27 and young enough still to potentially offer a lot to the team in the near future.”
Sutcliffe on the other hand did not attend the player meeting last night although the talented hurler did travel to the Fenway Classic last month. The Irish independent reports that Sutcliffe had expressed his desires to leave the inter-county set up last weekend.
Keaney, who was recently crowned a Leinster Club champion after a thrilling win over Portlaois on Sunday has also reportedly also told Cunningham that he would not be available for selection in 2016 according to the Irish Independent. The dual star told second captains live that
“I’m not getting any younger and the legs aren’t getting any fresher so I’d say I’ll have to make a call in the next couple of days or weeks.”
The Dub’s had a difficult year in 2015, defeats from Galway and Waterford meant the Capital city side managed one win over Limerick and one draw against Galway throughout the year.
Dublin are fixed to play Wexford in their first game of the Leinster Championship, while a daunting task lies ahead in the Allianz league All-Ireland semi-finalists Tipperary.