Kilcormac Killoughey secure a AIB Leinster hurling final position.

Raharney 1-8 Kilcormac-Killoughey 1-13

Kilcormac Killoughey  have continued their winning streak in the AIB Leinster club hurling championship after they claimed a spot in the Leinster final at the expense over Westmeath county champions Raharney on a Sunday November 16th in Cusack park Mullingar.

Less than five minutes after throw-in, number 10 Ciaran Slevin had his name on the scoreboard twice after KK intercepted two Raharney passages of play. From the outset, the three in a row Offaly champions crippled Raharney mistakes. Kilcormac Killoughey did have an early goal chance after full-forward Dan Currans broke into the danger zone but a crucial hook from Conor Jordan prevented KK to extend their lead by a further three points. Raharney’s first score came when a Raharney free was struck to John Shaw who managed to break in front if his marker to put just 1 between the sides. Seconds later Raharney got off the mark when a Raharney free again picked out John Shaw who dropped the ball in front of the double KK net where Ciaran Doyle made no mistake to kick the ball past KK keeper Conor Slevin.

At 16 minutes the neighbouring counties clubs were level at 1:02 to 0:05. A number of switches in the KK forward line in an effort to clean up the loose ball that dropped in front of the goal didn’t seem to benefit the KK side as corner forward Peter Geraghty showed his skill to add a point from the 21yard flag from a sideline. Again the ever reliable Ciaran Slevin pointed to keep their side in touch. The constant pressure of Raharney’s attacks paid off as they were awarded two frees from pulling incidents and both frees seen Carlow referee David Hughes bring forward 10yards.

Both sides would have been glad with the half time score of Raharney 1:04 KK 0:07 considering the controversial calls and sum of wasted ball in attacks on either team.The second half began with a higher intensity and determination in both sides. Tow goal chances opened the second half, Seventeen year old Killian Doyle’s goal chance prevented with an interception from full back Ger Healion and the other end of the field seen a James Gorman over passing a hand pass to an awaiting Dan Currams.

A long range score from Brian Leonard and a talented Killian Doyle point inside the 13yard line did their upmost to inspire their sides to keep the faith as both sides hit a huge number of wides in the second half. The switch of Con Mahon to Mid-field was a crucial call from Danny Owens as he picked up endless loose ball to pick out tenacious KK forwards. Cillain Kiely made it two in a row with a huge score outside his own ’65 similar to the scorer that pushed Kilcormac Killoughey into this semi-final against Shelmaliers (Wexford) two weekends ago.

It was tip for tap in the closing stages as Aaron Mchugh missed a goal chance from a ground strike, while 2012 Leinster Champions  slowly edged in front as half forward Ciaran Slevin put his side two in front as one minute injury time was announced from the stand. Clever thinking from Slevin picked out full-forward Dan Currams who was left all alone who had no option to make an audacious run at Raharney goal, which left Andrew Doyle helpless.

KK now march on to secure their spot in the AIB Leinster club hurling championship final vs Ballyhale Shamrock on the 7th of December in Portlaoise at 1.30pm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s